One of the things that I admire most about my sister (and there are a lot of things) is that she has a TOTAL mother-heart. She and her hubby LOVE their family and they love to be together, which is wonderful, but can be problematic when you are trying to make your artistic dreams come true! Both she and her husband are incredibly creative people. Fiona writes novels and has a theater background (including acting, writing and directing) and is amazingly musical (songs just pop into her mind – wow!) Bret is an artist, I mean everything that the man touches turns into art! He does photography, draws, writes poetry, and is very musical. As a married couple, each has supported the other in their aspirations – he has a band, she a writing career.
But recently, they came up with a BRILLIANT idea. What would happen if they created together? What if they involved the whole family in creating together? That way they could work on their dreams, talents, and passions, but have family fun as well (and teach the kids valuable lessons about creativity). The solution? The Bret and Fiona Show. It’s a YouTube family comedy sketch show. They involve everyone, create original songs, write and produce, film and edit. It’s truly amazing to think about how much those kids are going to learn about the creative process!!!
Here’s their first season –
1. Family Band: in which Bret quits his job in order to start a family band.
2. We Have Cookies: in which Bret is unable to get his job back, but finds a silver lining in a bad situation.
3. Fiona Strikes Back: in which Fiona uses her musical ability to slap some sense into Bret.
4. The Mommy List: in which Fiona goes back to work and leaves Bret in charge of the home.
5. Staycation: in which Bret can’t stand being a stay-at-home dad and moves the family into a hotel.
6. Travel Agent: in which Fiona loses her job and only writing a song can bring her out of her sadness.
I put in my favorite videos, although they’re all fun and there are some holiday special songs as well. Check out all of their shows through the links above.
It led me to think for a long time about what I could do with my girls. What would be a creative activity that we could all do together? One that will be fun, teach them some skills, help us to learn to work together, and fit into our time and money budgets – but most importantly be something that I am passionate about creating. I think I’ve come up with the right fit, which I will write about soon.
What about you? What can you and your family to create together? With summer coming up, this is the perfect time to do something wonderful together!
1 thought on “Creative People: The Ostlers – a family creating together”