So here is the beautiful dress that I made for my daughter for Christmas. I love it, but it was a lot of work. I was going to do this project with three other women, but we each finished one dress and were done.
Here is the one that my sister made –
The Magical Fairy Dress
My daughter seemed to love this one more than the one that I made for her – ugh! It is lovely. I give my congratulations to my Sister who said that she couldn’t sew. This proves that determination, perserverance, and a little imagination can work wonders.
I do plan on making some more. It was a rewarding project. Here are some things that I liked about it.
The patterns weren’t too expensive (varies in the $5-$20 range). You can get doll patterns from most sewing stores (in their pattern catalouges) or from the websites of the major pattern companies – Butterick, McCalls, Simplicity, etc. The website that I really recommend is – http://momspatterns.com/home. She has a lot of beautiful vintage Barbie patterns that are out of stock.
Another thing that I liked about the project was that I didn’t have to buy a lot of expensive material. I simply cut up old dress-ups that my daughter had but was unable to wear any more (such as the lovely maroon party dress that got a gob of gum down the front.) The material is wonderful and because the Barbie is smaller (dur!) I can reuse a lot of the fabric.
The dresses became easier once the initial learning period was over. We didn’t do more at the time because Christmas is a silly time to take on huge projects with so many other things going on!